* The lights in the lab are on.
* The recent lab activity level is 0 on a scale of 0 to 10.
* The number of lab members who have logged in to our linux machines in the past 24 hours is 0.
* The number of lab members who have logged in to our linux machines this week is 0.
* The current size of our software source code repository is 3207856 KB.
* The current size of the directory holding our papers published and papers in progress is 14199096 KB.
* The average load on our main virtual reality system in the past 15 minutes is 2%.
Click on the mark to see a history of lab activity and read about how the data drives the visual.
Our research involves data visualization,computer graphics, and human-computer interaction. Current projects include visualization of time-varying (motion) data, large-scale data visualization, perceptually optimized visualization, 3D user interfaces, haptics, and pen and multi-touch input techniques. Our work is supported by the National Science Foundation, National Academies Keck Futures Initiative, grants from industry, and the University of Minnesota.more on research
Our research group includes about 10 undergraduate and graduate students. Our lab in 2-203 Keller Hall is equipped with high-end graphics workstations that drive a series of innovative visual displays and interactive devices. Major equipment includes a Multi-Surface, Multi-Touch Virtual Reality Environment and a 3D Haptic (Force-Feedback) Display. We also work regularly with the visualization facilities at the Minnesota Supercomputing Institute.more on the lab
Academic presentations, teaching at the University of Minnesota, and reaching out to the local community are all important ways that we disseminate the results of our research. Many of our academic talks are available online. At the U, there are many great ways for students to get involved. And, in the local community, we work with K-12 schools and organizations, such as the Science Museum of Minnesota and the Minnesota State Fair.more on education
VR Table Impresses at Medical Devices Center opening
June 2013: At the grand opening of the University of Minnesota's Medical Devices Center, the IV/LAB-produced virtual prototyping table impressed visitors.more news
Reimagining the Scientific Visualization Interaction Paradigm
May 2013: Daniel F. Keefe and Tobias Isenberg featured in IEEE Computing Now blog. Their article is free to read for a limited time.more news
Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship
May 2013: Bret Jackson awarded the Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship for the 2013-2014 academic year.more news